Interesting animal facts and features, the archive
Interesting animal facts and features is a summary of all the articles related to this subject. We have spoken about many things that can be found in nature. But the most interesting articles are all about the animal kingdom specifically.
Plants are diverse, but animals are even more diverse. So let us guide you quickly through the articles we have available about the animal kingdom and what they’re about! Curious? Just click away and learn more!
Important note: These features are really interesting to read on their own, so here is a small spoiler warning. If you want to learn what’s something about it before being confronted with the blunt facts, click on the link that comes before the list.
Weird animal features – Part 1
Weird animal features – Part 1 – LtL (lifetolegend.com)
From strange types of teeth to infra-communication, the absence of symmetry to organs in weird places.
- Geese have teeth on their tongues and bills.
- Hearing infra-sounds as well as communicating with infra-sounds.
- Some creatures have ears on their legs.
- Some animals like owls have a-symmetric ears.
- Many animal species like whales and birds can navigate with the help of magnetic fields.
Weird animal features – Part 2
Weird animal features – Part 2 – LtL (lifetolegend.com)
Platypi are obviously strange creatures. But have you heard of polarized vision? Or internal barometers? Or blue blood?
- Some animals like the Platypus have skin folds that have uses that would surprise you.
- Many animal species use polarized light to navigate. A kind of light we’re incapable of seeing.
- There are animal species out there that use their internal barometer to sense the weather.
- Quite a few animal species can pause the fertilization of their eggs. They just store the sperm until they’re ready.
- Horseshoe crabs have lifesaving blue blood.
Weird animal features – Part 3
Have you ever heard the sound a Koala can make? Did you ever wonder how they do that? And have you ever heard of mimicry?
Weird animal features – Part 3 – LtL (lifetolegend.com)
- The Koala has 2 vocal cords.
- Many animal species like the Alligator Snapping Turtle have tongues that function as lures.
- Spiders are not stupid, they can mimic other animal species and are remarkably good at it.
- Snub-nosed monkeys lost their noses through evolution because of the cold.
- The Ankol Watusi can regulate their body temperatures with their horns.
Weird animal features – Part 4
The ant kingdom is remarkable to say the least, and each and every kind of ant has its own specialization. One of them is Phragmotic behavior.
Also, did you know that the 3rd eye really does exist? That there are blood-drinking birds? And deer with fangs?
Weird animal features – Part 4 – LtL (lifetolegend.com)
- Some animals do have a 3rd eye.
- There are finches that drink blood from boobies (and more).
- Water deer have fangs instead of antlers.
- The Gharial has one of the most unusual and effective snouts ever.
- Phragmotic behavior is a thing. It’s the practice of blocking your tunnel with your head.
Weird animal features – Part 5
Immortal animals, emergencies of biblical proportions, mass spawning at full moon, and more!
Weird animal features – Part 5 – LtL (lifetolegend.com)
- The cicada emergence, which happens only once every 17 years, is one of biblical proportions.
- There are immortal animals out there. One of them is the Turritopsis Dohrnii, a jellyfish.
- Coral reefs spawn at the same time at the full moon to ensure a high chance of fertilization.
- Many fish, among other animals, have pores called Ampullae of Lorenzini that can detect the electric energy from movement.
- The pink fairy armadillo is strange in more than one way.
More interesting reads on strange animals
- Fantastic specialization of living organisms – LtL (lifetolegend.com)
- 8 Strange sea creatures you likely didn’t know exist – LtL (lifetolegend.com)
- Immortal jellyfish, phoenix of the ocean. – LtL (lifetolegend.com)
- Adult jellyfish explained for creatives | The many traits described. (lifetolegend.com)
- The life cycle of jellyfish for creatives – LtL (lifetolegend.com)
Obtaining a visual library
Ours is a really wonderful world. From the day we are born, inspiration comes from the world around us. Your fantasy and dreams will enhance anything you get to experience, and these dreams and fantasies can take on their own lives.
No matter your profession, and no matter who you are or what you do. Your experience comes from the things you learn every day. From the things, you do know. Because what you are not aware of, you can never learn from.
For this reason, it’s really important that you gain as much knowledge as you can. Especially when you are an artist, and even more so if you are a concept artist and/or a creature designer. Because your visual library can only build on your knowledge. And because building your visual library is a subconscious process, it’s vital that you frequently expose yourself to new knowledge and new challenges.